Is it safe to travel to Qatar during FIFA 2022?
Being one of the wealthiest countries in the world and the most extensive transit gateway for overseas travellers, Qatar has emerged as a popular tourist destination over the past few years. This country has everything a traveller can hope for on a vacation or tour. From gorgeous walkways and landmarks to some of the finest shopping malls and hotels, Qatar promises a lot on your travel here.
But since Qatar got its right to host the FIFA world cup tournament, people have raised their voices against this decision. However, the Qatar government has worked ardently and rapidly improved the country’s infrastructure.
Still, some questions are roaming in the mind of football enthusiasts related to the safety of this gulf nation. Here, we will unravel some safety-related facts and provide Qatar travel advice so that all football fans can feel the thrill of FIFA 2022.
Qatar is the second safest country in the world
If you are holding your FIFA excitement due to the safety reasons of the place, you must be happy to know that Qatar is the second safest nation in the world. According to the latest (in 2022) Numbeo Crime Index, Qatar has the second lowest crime rate, at 14.03 points out of 100, just behind Abu Dhabi. But this is not the first time that Qatar has inscribed its name on the list of the safest destinations in the world. It was also named the safest nation in the world in 2017 and 2019.
Though pickpocketing, bag snatching and other petty crimes may happen, you should keep an eye on your belongings, especially visiting crowded places like stadiums, shopping malls, etc.
COVID-19 scenario in Qatar
The COVID-19 situation in Qatar has improved since July 2022, and cases are also waning gradually.
Since the country is gearing up to host the FIFA World Cup 2022, it has cancelled quarantine requirements for foreign visitors. It is truly amazing news for all football admirers. But both fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and unvaccinated travellers need to produce a negative result within 48 hours of taking a PCR or rapid antigen test before entering this gulf nation.
Citizens and residents may need to take a PCR test within 24 hours of arrival. Travellers who test positive for Covid-19 may still need to go into quarantine as per the protocols.
Is Qatar safe for female travellers?
Qatar is perfectly safe for women travellers. Women visiting Qatar should have no problem during the 2022 World Cup if they follow the basic guidelines that common sense dictates everywhere else in the world. Every woman should pay more attention to local cultures, such as not getting drunk in the middle of a public park or beaches or not wearing indecent garments. Women are safe to travel even at night if they dress modestly.
Qatar entry requirements and other safety instructions during FIFA 2022
- Before entering Qatar, all international football lovers need to fill out a pre-entry online registration form on a government website (www.ehteraz.gov.qa) at least three days before arrival. To enjoy the excitement of the FIFA World Cup, travellers need to download the Ehteraz app, which will portray their health and personal information, including PCR test results.
- You must hold a valid Hayya card to enter Qatar from 1st November 2022 onwards, irrespective of whether you are attending a World Cup match. Using this card, you can access free public transport on match days.
- If you are planning to visit nearby countries during the FIFA tournament, don’t forget to check the “Travel advice page” for every country to make your trip hassle-free.
- To enhance your safety for the FIFA 2022 tournament, purchase travel insurance that will cover your trip and other planned activities.
- Nearly 1.2 million visitors are expected this year to Qatar for the FIFA 2022 tournament. So, book your air tickets and accommodation in advance to avoid the rush.
- The Qatari culture doesn’t allow displaying affection in public. Visitors can’t pass vulgar remarks or use inappropriate language (not even due to excitement) at public places like stadiums, malls, restaurants, etc. In the worst cases, you may get arrested while showing affection in public places. So, if you are visiting the country for the upcoming FIFA World Cup 2022, you should respect the country’s culture.
Qatar is safe in every aspect for all football fans. But this country believes in generosity and modesty. Though the government is allowing some liberation for the influx of tourists, Qatar is a conservative nation, and visitors should abide by its laws and customs. You should remember this if you are travelling to Qatar for the upcoming FIFA tournament.
Have you not yet planned to visit Qatar to support your favorite team in FIFA2022? Enjoy the first goal of your favorite team with Bookitngo’s super-exciting Qatar deals.
Visit bookitngo/landing page URL and select the best deal package to make your FIFA Qatar odyssey more memorable and comfortable.